Sea of Thieves set the sails and the highly anticipated Skull & Bones continued to provide gamers with the excitement of adventures new. But there have been a whole ton of seafaring games arrive on our consoles in recent years, ensuring the chance for players to hit the high seas and take in worlds of adventure. The latest if that of Pirates Outlaws – and this one chucks some roguelike card-battling in for good measure.
Pirates Outlaws first released back in 2019, on PC through Steam, picking up some ‘Very Positive’ reviews in that time. But seafarers, roguelikes and card-battlers are extremely popular right now, and so it makes sense for launch on console too.
That’s the case with Pirates Outlaws as it hits Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5 and Nintendo Switch, all thanks to the Fabled Studio development team and their friends at BlitWorks Games. The £14.99 asking price at the Xbox Store – expect similar elsewhere – feels a decent fit too.
So what is Pirates Outlaws? Well, it’s a roguelike card game in which you’ll find yourself sailing the seven seas, battling away as you go. Your goal is to defeat every outlaw you come across, making yourself the champion of the waves. Playing out with a rather glorious artstyle, BlitWorks are promising that the arrival of Pirates Outlaws on console will see a host of content made available, with unlockables aplenty, game modes to enjoy and more.
In fact, there are three different game modes to enjoy, as you NAVIGATE, test your worth in the ARENA and get brawling with TAVERN BRAWL. Sixteen heroes are available throughout these modes, whilst upwards of some 700 cards, 200 Relics, 150 Outlaws, 60 bosses and a ton of unlockables build things out.
The key features in summary include:
- 3 Game Modes with unique rules – Start a roguelike expedition in NAVIGATE, face the most powerful foes in the ARENA or test your strength and knowledge over a drink in the TAVERN BRAWL.
- 16 Heroes – Each Pirate has unique abilities and mechanics! Read the future with the Fortune Teller, command a beast with the Bear Tamer or go full berserker with the Chicken.
- More than 700 Cards and 200 Relics – Level up your game with new cards that you will unlock as you progress through the different maps.
- 150+ Outlaws and 60+ unique bosses – Build better decks with deadly combos and prepare yourself to face the toughest challenges.
- Tons of unlockables – Start your next run as a steampunk legend or find the spookiest look with unlockable skins!
- All updates included – Maelstrom, Lost in Jungle, Great Bazaar, Lost Islands, Northern Lands, Eastern Seas, Port Elysia, and more!
Whilst the depth of the game modes run as:
- In Navigate mode you manage your expedition across varied horizons to discover and battle pirates and outlaws that stand on your path. You can unlock up to seven maps and chapters with their own difficulty and secrets. Once your repute reaches 9999, a Hard Mode will auto-unlock where you’ll find harsher environments and stronger enemies. Each chapter also has a unique challenge in Hard Mode.
- In the dust of the Arena, you will face a powerful Champion every ten battles. To reach the top, you must choose among the cards and relics from all seven chapters. A place for all pirates in need of a challenge.
- Test your strength and knowledge over a drink at the Tavern Brawl. Choose pre-made packages before each battle and defeat waves of outlaws. After two battles, you’ll have to defeat the imposing Tavern Keeper.
“As a small studio and passionate gamers, it was important for us to prove our worth with a quality first game. For years, Pirates Outlaws has grown steadily and thanks to a supportive and dedicated community, the game has been considered as one of the most complete card deck-builders of its generation. Our Pirates have navigated through the 7 seas, challenge the worst Outlaws at the Arena, and had a drink at the Tavern. Today, we are proud to finally see them sailing new seas and horizons with the console version.” – Fabled Game Studio
Pirates Outlaws launches on Xbox, PlayStation and Nintendo Switch with all updates that have hit the PC version of the game arriving for free at launch.
Sold on the sailing of seas? Our review is in the works and we’ll let you know how Pirates Outlaws plays on Xbox real soon, but in the meantime you can grab a download from the Xbox Store, playing on Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S. It’s also on PlayStation, Nintendo Switch and, of course, PC through Steam.
Pirates Outlaws is a roguelike deckbuilder with a unique artstyle packed with content. Navigate dangerous seas, defeat every outlaw in your way and challenge their masters in tense combats. Your expedition will be full of ambushes and challenges, so get ready, build your card deck and plan deadly combos to become the most reputed pirate!