We’ve said it before and we’ll say it again, we love what Rebellion push out to the gaming market. Whether it be the weird Strange Brigade, the wacky Zombie Army, or the more tried and trusted stealth methods of Sniper Elite, rarely is a foot put wrong. Now it’s time to take things to the next-level, with all-new Kill Cams and stealth em up opportunities as Karl is back in Sniper Elite 5.
Available to purchase and download today, Sniper Elite 5 launches on Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, Game Pass, PS4, PS5 and PC, with the latter running through both the Windows Store and via Steam.
The next installment in the award-winning franchise, Sniper Elite 5 will be an instant draw for many, especially those who have spent time in recent years honing their sniping skills in the likes of Sniper Elite 4. Thankfully, and while Rebellion have certainly introduced plenty of new ideas, the core is the same. It puts us in the well-trod shoes of one Karl Fairburne, a covert US Ranger as we are whisked off to 1944 France. It’s here where the French Resistance makes contact, as Karl and the gang look to uncover a secret Nazi project.
What plays out is a campaign that has been created using real-world locations, put together via photogrammetry to ensure that everything is as likelike and realistic as possible. That campaign can be traversed alone, or with a friend to hand, as you take turns picking off the targets ahead. There’s also the chance to drop in to the Campaign of others via the Invasion Mode too – should you be looking to up the ante even more than usual.
A whole ton of customisation will be present for those looking for it and in good old Rebellion fashion a ton of XP and medals will help you hone your sharpshooting. With weaponry up for amendment via new scopes, barrels, mags and more, how you go about playing Sniper Elite 5 may well change from person to person. Whatever you do though, you’ll want to come together as one in the Survival mode.
For the most part, we should know what to expect from Sniper Elite 5, but Rebellion have been hard at work upgrading their brilliant Kill Cam system, making it more realistic and gory then ever before. There’s a whole new visual representation in terrms of the skeleton, muscles and organs, whilst iron sight shots from SMGs and pistols will now also occasionally contribute. If you prefer to switch off Kill Cam though, keeping you immersed in the action, you can do so in Sniper Elite 5.
Rebellion CEO, Jason Kingsley said: “We are extremely proud to be releasing Sniper Elite 5 today and cannot wait for players to get their hands on the game. The franchise continues to go from strength to strength and the entire team at Rebellion has done a fantastic job to create the best game in the series to date. We are particularly proud of the new Invasion Mode which we think will be a real fan favourite. The tension and challenge that the invasion creates really intensifies and heightens the gameplay experience.”
In all, expect to find all the following features and detalis present and correct as you head through Karl’s adventure…
- EXPANSIVE CAMPAIGN – Many real-world locations have been captured using photogrammetry to recreate a living, immersive environment, and multiple infiltration and extraction points and kill list targets provide a whole new perspective on each mission. Take on the Nazi plot solo or work with a partner, with improved co-op mechanics allowing you to share ammo and items, give orders and heal each other.
- ADVANCED GUNPLAY PHYSICS AND TRAVERSAL – Use ziplines, slide down slopes and shimmy along ledges to reach the perfect vantage point, or to sneak past a sharp-eyed lookout. Factor in rifle stock and barrel options along with gravity, wind and heart rate while you line up your sights on the target.
- HIGH CALIBRE CUSTOMISATION – Use workbenches to customise and upgrade virtually every aspect of your weapon – change scopes, stocks, barrels, magazines and more. Rifles, secondaries and pistols all have a huge variety of options. On top of that you can select the ammo to suit your target, from armour-piercing right down to non-lethal.
- INVASION MODE – CAMPAIGN DROP IN PvP AND CO-OP – Invade another player’s Campaign as an Axis sniper and engage in a deadly game of cat and mouse, providing a new dimension to the challenge as you stalk your prey. Alternatively, as Karl you can call for assistance and have a second sniper drop in to help you out of a tricky situation.
- TENSE ADVERSIAL MULTIPLAYER – Customise your character and loadout and earn XP, medals and ribbons as you take on intensely competitive 16 player battles that will really test your sharpshooting skills. If co-op’s more your style, you can team up with up to 3 other players against waves of enemies in Survival mode.
- ENHANCED KILL CAM – More realistic and grisly than ever, the trademark X-ray kill cam returns, showing you the true destructive power of each shot. Bones deflect bullets unpredictably, ripping a new path through enemy bodies. SMGs and pistols can also trigger kill cams, including multiple shots in dramatic slow motion.
With Game Pass power right behind it, a play of Sniper Elite 5 is something that shouldn’t be missed. Whether you’re looking to stealth it up, or go in guns ablazing, it’s a game that shouldl well cater for all. We’ll be sure to have everything covered in our upcoming review of Sniper Elite 5 on Xbox Series X|S – and yep, this is next-gen optimised with Smart Delivery in tow.
You’ll find the download you need from the Xbox Store for Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S (Standard Edition will set you back £54.99), or on PlayStation and PC.
There’s a Deluxe Edition of Sniper Elite 5 available too, with that combining the base game with Season Pass One. That Season Pass includes a couple of new Campaign missions, six additional Weapon Packs and two of each of Weapon Skin Packs and Character Skin Packs. It also includes Target Führer – Wolf Mountain (£5.59 separately).
That Season Pass One is available as an individual £29.99 purchase too.
Let us know which version you decide to grab.
The latest instalment in the award-winning series, Sniper Elite 5 offers unparalleled sniping, tactical third-person combat and an enhanced kill cam. Fight your way across the most immersive maps yet, with many real-world locations captured in stunning detail, and an improved traversal system that lets you explore more of them than ever before. France, 1944 – As part of a covert US Rangers operation to weaken the Atlantikwall fortifications along the coast of Brittany, elite marksman Karl Fairburne makes contact with the French Resistance. Soon they uncover a secret Nazi project that threatens to end the war before the Allies can even invade Europe: Operation Kraken.