We can’t pretend that the voxel look works for all games, but for some of those that utilise the visual style, we can’t help but be impressed. That’s the case with the latest voxeled title to hit Xbox, PlayStation, Switch and PC – Clone Drone in the Danger Zone.
Snappy title aside, Clone Drone in the Danger Zone has been kicking around on PC via Steam Early Access for a little while already (4 years in fact) gathering up a host of extremely positive reviews, but now that same game releases in full on Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, PS4, Nintendo Switch and PC with full cross-platform multiplayer play thrown in for good measure.
Priced at £16.74 from the Xbox Store, Clone Drone in the Danger Zone from the indie developer Doborog is a third person robot sword fighter which will allow you to slice and dice to your heart’s content.
In fact, any part of your opponent’s body can be whipped off should you have the skills, and by doing so you’ll start to find success in the variety of single player, multiplayer and cooperative modes that are on offer. And yes, those are online multiplayer and cooperative options.
In fact, the options are pretty hefty, with all of the following launching…
- Singleplayer Game Modes:
- • Story Mode – One part epic tale of human defiance, another part laser swords.
- • Endless Mode – Challenge yourself to fight through 86 level variants spread across 7 difficulty tiers. Can you make it to TITANIUM?
- • Challenge Mode – Bow-only, hammer-only, can you still survive the arena?
- Multiplayer Game Modes:
- • Last Bot Standing – A Battle-Royale-like game mode with short, 5-10 minute play sessions and up to 15 players. Survive, and shower in the remains of your fellow robot competitors.
- • Private Duels – Challenge your friend to a 1v1 duel!
- • Online Co-op! – Use the power of human friendship (and laser swords!) to survive in the arena!
No matter what you are up to, your mission at hand is to hit the arena and prepare for some proper hardcore slicing action. And depending on how that slicing goes, well, each and every hit could well prove to be the insta-kill swipe. Throw in giant hammers, flame swords, jet packs and superkicks and Clone Drone in the Danger Zone looks to be a hella lot of fun.
It’s possibly with the cross-platform play which Clone Drone in the Danger Zone will excel though and as with any indie game, the larger the player base, the better. This will let you engage in multiplayer battles and enjoy cooperative missions with your mates or strangers, no matter what console you are playing on.
You can also create your own levels, sharing them with the world – although unfortunately you’ll need to be a Steam player should you wish to make the most of a rich Workshop of other player-created designs.
Key features include:
- Epic Voxel Dismemberment: In addition to looking cool, the ability to cut off body parts is central to the gameplay. Jumping on one leg is a common occurrence.
- Sharp Sword Combat: Combat is fast and intense, putting great emphasis on movement, timing and positioning. You are never safe, as any blow can instantly kill or dismember.
- Entertaining Commentary: With over 38000(!!!) spoken words, Commentatron and Analysis-Bot provide a running commentary of your performance and react to your activities.
- Upgrade your robot: Jetpack, bow, kicking, deflection, clones, armor, FIRE!
- Terrifying robotic enemies that actually get pretty hard! Sword robots, bow robots, Spidertron 5000, Spidertron 6000, gigantic hammer bots. So many things to dismember.
- Achievements! Unlock upgrades, emotes and multiplayer skins by achieving a rich variety of things!
- Emotes! Do the Funky Pillar Dance, mock your foes, or flap your arms delightfully!
As the first full game from Doborog Games, there’s much hype for Clone Drone in the Danger Zone. We’ll be sure to drop a full review of it once we’ve been hands-on on Xbox. But if you’re already sold, get over to the Xbox Store, the PlayStation Store, the Nintendo eShop or the Steam page and grab a copy of the game now.
Clone Drone in the Danger Zone is a robot voxel slice-em-up where any part of your body can be sliced off. With your mind downloaded into a robot gladiator, you must survive the sinister trials of the arena.