Ready to take the next step in the Star Trek Online universe? It’s time to head off on a Rise of Discovery on Xbox One and PS4.
Perfect World Entertainment and Cryptic Studios have today announced that Rise of Discovery is now available for Star Trek Online on Xbox One and PS4, enhancing the free-to-play MMORPG that continues its mission to explore the Star Trek universe from within.
Rise of Discovery invites players to join the ranks of the U.S.S. Buran, commanded by Starfleet Captain Gabriel Lorca (voiced by Jason Isaacs) and Commander Ellen Landry (Rekha Sharma), as captains get the chance to play through two incredibly moving featured episodes to uncover what happened to these characters before they beamed aboard the U.S.S. Discovery in the show’s first season.
Further to that though, us Star Trek fans hitting up STO on console will also discover a brand new reputation, the chance to fly premium ships that now scale to their character level and, beginning July 2nd, will be able to unlock free rewards exclusively for Xbox Live Gold and PlayStation Plus members.
For nearly a decade, Star Trek Online has expanded on incredible stories that were introduced in some of the franchise’s most iconic TV shows, including The Original Series, Deep Space Nine, Voyager and Enterprise. This legacy continues with Star Trek: Discovery, as the game takes fans back to the show’s very first season to explore the relationship between Captain Gabriel Lorca and his trusted Chief of Security, Commander Ellen Landry. Rise of Discovery beams players aboard the U.S.S. Buran with Lorca and Landry, just one month after the Battle at the Binary Stars. Captains will answer an urgent distress call from the Starfleet vessel after it is ambushed by Klingon forces, who are searching for one of their own. This devastating attack forces Captain Lorca to crash land on a barren ice moon above Priors World, where his fate lies in the hands of Commander Landry and her remaining crew.
These events take place across brand new missions featured in Rise of Discovery, with the following all included…
- Two New Featured Episodes – All of the game’s captains can participate in two brand new playable episodes which take place in the Star Trek: Discovery universe.
- “The Plausibility of the Possible” – Players will rescue the U.S.S. Buran, led by Captain Gabriel Lorca and Commander Ellen Landry, after the Starfleet ship is attacked by Klingons.
- “Impossibility of Reason” – Star Trek Online captains will team up with Landry on an urgent mission to rescue Lorca from a desolate ice moon before he is apprehended by a Klingon search party.
- Star Trek: Discovery Characters – Rise of Discovery features original voice acting from Star Trek: Discovery’s very own Jason Isaacs (Harry Potter film series, The Patriot) as Captain Lorca and Rekha Sharma (Battlestar Galactica, Alien vs Predators: Requiem) as Commander Landry.
- New Reputation – Console captains can explore a new Tier 6 Reputation, “Discovery Legends,” which allows players to earn exciting new Discovery themed rewards. All of the Discovery Task Force Operations will now feature Advanced and Elite versions that have been converted to support this new reputation and pay out Discovery Legend Marks.
Further to all that, level restrictions have been removed for Tier 6 starships across all of Star Trek Online’s platforms and this means that all of the vessels now scale to each individual character level, giving players the chance to fly premiums ships that were previously only available to those who had reached a certain level in the game.
And then, as hinted at above, July 2nd through to October 13th will see Xbox Live Gold and PlayStation Plus members the chance to unlock free rewards, including a colour-variant Tardigrade Combat Pet, a colour-variant Assault Drone Vanity Pet and three Master Keys.
If you need to know more about Star Trek Online then our full review will sort you out with the details.