Looking to embrace the Christmas spirit early? Ebenezer and the Invisible World is a hand-drawn fantasy Metroidvania that should be seen as a reimagined sequel to Charles Dickens’ classic ghost story, A Christmas Carol.
Arriving via Orbit Studio and Play on Worlds, Ebenezer and the Invisible World is decking the haunted halls on Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S. It’s also on Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4 and PC via Steam.
A sequel to A Christmas Carol
Ebenezer and the Invisible World focuses on a time after his transformation in A Christmas Carol, as the once miserly Ebenezer Scrooge decides to dedicate himself to the people of London. Now a benevolent figure lending a hand to those in need, Ebenezer receives a strange warning: a Dark Spirit conspires to plunge Victorian London into chaos. As the only one with eyes open to an invisible world of spirits, Ebenezer answers the call and braves a whirlwind of sinister specters.
As you may expect to hear, phantoms are far from the only threat looming in London. The Malthus family, led by greedy industrialist Caspar, now threatens the city. While the workers of London stand their ground protesting the inhumane practices at the Malthus Factories, Caspar plans to crush the vulnerable working class underfoot with the help of his imposing Malthus Private Guard.
What this means is that in Ebenezer and the Invisible World on Xbox, PlayStation, Switch and PC you’ll get to explore interconnected levels brimming with Holiday splendor. There’s also the chance to race through the snowy streets, confronting ghastly poltergeists with supernatural abilities.
The Haunted Halls
From there it’ll be all about braving the haunted halls of the Asylum, reaching for the stars in the celestial London Observatory, confronting the most fearsome phantoms in the Necropolis – the ghostly axis point – and infiltrating the ominous Malthus Factory, Caspar’s future-tech center of power.
Thankfully, Ebenezer receives a little help from some ghostly friends. Each of these comes with their own tales to tell and awesome spectral powers to call upon. You’ll be found able to summon an array of spirits, including Caspar’s early childhood friend and soldier Eric Fellows, daring mountaineer Victoria Peak, and dedicated watchmaker Saki Tokei. They’ll all be able to offer special abilities to aid in both combat and traversal.
You’ll also get to wield powerful weapons from the spirit realm, like ghost swords and spooky whips, and unlock buffs and upgrades with raw materials. Ebenezer and the Invisible World will mostly focus on the solving of puzzles, uncovering of long-buried secrets, and the chance to take on quests to help both supernatural and totally natural friends in need. Fend off towering bosses and discover secrets across a detailed, hand-drawn Metroidvania map, all set to original musical compositions and scores inspired by themes of the Victorian era and Christmas.
- Meet and unlock powerful Ghosts, each with their own stories and quests to complete, lending their powers to Ebenezer on this adventure.
- Explore Victorian-era London across multiple regions of the city and uncover the dark secrets of the Malthus family.
- Traverse the world in extraordinary ways with the help of Movement Ghosts, including trapeze artists Rose and Flossie Reed, mountaineer Victoria Peak, professor of time and space Haley Hall, and many others.
- Use each Ghost’s special ability to explore the world while fighting a legion of Unrepentant Ghosts who have descended upon London since the return of the Dark Spirit.
- Featuring an abundance of characters with dialogue, enjoy the narrative through dialogues and in-game cutscenes and learn the tragic backstories of Ghosts now tethered to the mortal world.
- Learn and master an intricate map in a classic non-linear, ability gated, Metroidvania.
- Collect limited materials such as Ether, Iron, and Mugwort to unlock new items and abilities.
- Discover secret areas and rare materials.
- All art is hand-drawn featuring frame-by-frame coloring and animations.
“We are proud to have created an interpretation of Charles Dickens’ A Christmas Carol that has never before been done in the 180 years since the story’s original publication,” said Carlos Martin, Founder at Play on Worlds. “We can’t wait to see fans of Charles Dickens’ classic ghost story join Ebenezer on an adventure to save London in Ebenezer and The Invisible World.”
Ebenezer and The Invisible World is on the Xbox Store, playable on Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S. It’s fully optimised for Series X|S. £16.74 feels a bargain.
You’ll also find the game on PlayStation, Nintendo Switch and PC.
Stick around for our review of Ebenezer and The Invisible World on Xbox very soon.
Ebenezer and The Invisible World on Xbox Game Description
Join Ebenezer Scrooge and a team of spectral allies as they battle to save London from the clutches of the wealthy industrialist, Caspar Malthus, and his militant Private Guard. With each Ghost lending their unique abilities, explore the dark corners of London and uncover the sinister influence of the Dark Spirit and an army of Unrepentant Ghosts. Will you have the courage to confront Caspar and stop his malevolent plans before it is too late?