Sometimes horror doesn’t need a terrifying monster hunting you down or a slasher on the loose to create terror. History has shown us that true horror can even be nothing more than a human being, and this next game is one such example. Trenches is out today on Xbox, PlayStation and Nintendo Switch.
It is 1917 and whilst the war can see the light at the end of the tunnel, you are a soldier caught behind enemy lines. Armed only with your senses and a trench whistle you must find the clues and escape this labyrinth in this first-person survival horror.
The trench whistle is a crucial tool. Blowing it will produce a sound you need to follow. However, the enemy can also here, and will search out the source of this noise. They have good hearing, as your footsteps and things you break can also draw their attention.
Trenches also features:
- Hardcore gameplay: A hardcore survival horror game where there is only 1 save.
- Randomized locations for clues.
- An enemy that mimics the voices of your loved ones.
- Hiding System: Hide from the enemies in narrow trench passageways and under beds.
- Insanity. The environment may change with your sanity.
- Throw bottles and objects to distract the enemies and evade them.
- Trench Whistle to tell you where you need to go next, but the enemy can also hear it.
- Inventory system and a picture of your family, to remind you to come back home.
- Interact with items and objects which can be helpful and provide you tips.
- Mind your stamina, if you get tired then you cannot outrun your enemies.
Check out our review of Trenches to see just how it plays.
Trenches is on the Xbox Store now priced at £9.99. If you want to get stuck in earlier though, there is a discount dropping the price down to £7.99 for a limited time. Let us know in the comments below if you will be picking this one up.
Enter a World War 1 first-person horror survival game where you have to survive and escape the harsh war-torn environment of the year 1917. Experience the war from the eyes of a soldier caught behind enemy lines. Explore the real chilling story as you navigate the horrors of battle, equipped with only your senses and a trench whistle. Find clues to better understand the enemy trenches without being caught and return to safety and your family. The game relies on sounds and hearings, as you are equipped with a ‘Trench Whistle’ which you can use. When it’s used, it will play a sound and you need to follow the sound, however – you have to be careful as the enemy can hear the whistle too and it can give out your position easily. Enemies will also be able to hear if you run, if you break anything, or even if you walk on wood as it will make a creaking noise. A HARDCORE objective-finding type first-person psychological horror survival game experience about finding and collecting clues to escape the Trenches, with gut-wrecking moments and randomized locations for clues on each take.