Curious Expedition 2 has always been a bit, well, curious. Today though it gets even more intriguing as players are given the chance to visit the Shores of Taishi.
Adding in a new island type, locations, recruitable characters and more, Shores of Taishi becomes available in Curious Expedition on console today, playable as a new DLC hit on Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, PS4, PS5 and Nintendo Switch.
Should you wish to take in this trip, then you should expect to pay roughly $5.99 / €5.99 / £4.99 for the DLC which is adding to Thunderful and independent developer Maschinen-Mensch’s Jules Verne-esque narrative roguelike adventure, Curious Expedition 2.
Shores of Taishi adds a bounty of new content to the mysterious lands of Curious Expedition 2. A new island type comes in the form of the Celestial Shores, as does a completely new set of tiles, a new game mechanic related to teleporting between islets and the new Peacock Tribe.
Shores of Taishi will also allow players to recruit six new characters to their party, including Red Panda, Tanuki, Ghost Catcher and Warrior Peacock. But that’s not all and with six new enemy types, four new locations, six new pieces of equipment, seven new Sanity Items, six new Trophies and four new club levels to unlock, there’s plenty of new content to get stuck into.
For those unaware, Curious Expedition 2 is a Jules Verne-esque pulp adventure inspired by pen & paper RPGs and mixed with narrative roguelike elements, all wrapped up in a streamlined and accessible gameplay experience. It released on console earlier this year and we absolutely loved it in review – speaking of a game that is full of hugely varied missions, is capable of creating some seriously swappable stories, powered by a lovely art style.
It’s a game which is set in a reimagined late 19th Century, all as mysterious islands shrouded in purple fog have begun to appear in the oceans, only to vanish soon afterwards. The three great Explorer Clubs of Paris are now funding expeditions to these strange islands in a bid to make bold new discoveries. You’ll get the chance to take on the role of an intrepid explorer, assemble your crew and head out into the unknown.
Shores of Taishi follows the release of the base game and the Highlands of Avalon DLC, adding its own set of tiles, a new mechanic for traversing hills and valleys, a new tribe, recruitable characters, equipment and more. In fact, with this latest release, Curious Expeditions 2 will be bigger and more varied than ever before, offering constant surprises and new adventures every time you play.
Full feature list includes:
- New island type: Celestial Shores, with a completely new set of tiles, a new game mechanic related to teleporting between islets and the new Peacock Tribe
- 6 new recruitable characters: Red Panda, Tanuki, Ghost Catcher, Warrior Peacock, Shaman Peacock, Scout Peacock
- 6 new enemies: Ushi Oni, Dangkang, Spectral Tiger, Spectral Snake, Tanuki Enforcer, Tanuki Motivator
- 4 new locations: Animal Shelter, Bath House, Wild Tanukis, Rite of Passage
- 6 new pieces of equipment: Bo Staff, Guandao, Jian, Bamboo Hatchet, Geta Sandals, Bagua Mirror
- 7 new sanity items: Zongzi, Sake, Lo Mai Chi, Chinese Tea, Go Board, Peach, Bamboo Flute
- 6 new trophies: Dangkang Tusk, Ushi-Oni Leg, Red Panda Fur, Phoenix Ashes, Spectral Tiger Pelt, Giant Spectral Snake Skin
- 4 new levels to unlock at the Taishi Academy Explorer Club in Paris, giving access to 1 Recruitable character and 3 pieces of Equipment
“Supporting Curious Expedition 2 with new content to expand the mysterious terrain players have to explore has always been important to us,” said Riad Djemili, CEO at Maschinen-Mensch. “This new DLC adds another unique dimension where players will encounter an aesthetic unlike anything they’ve discovered in the game so far. Have fun out there explorers!”
Should you have a copy of the base game of Curious Expedition 2, then you’ll find the chance to take in the Shores of Taishi at some point today. Just hit up your favoured digital store and grab the new content.