For years the one man development team at Mechanical Head Games – one Aarne ‘MEKASKULL’ Hunziker – has been slaving away with the creation of Cyber Shadow. Now though it’s time for the game to move on, and this has seen the team at Yacht Club Games come on board.
The studio behind the hugely popular Shovel Knight, Yacht Club Games will be unveiling Cyber Shadow at PAX East this week, showing off why the cyber ninja game is highly appealing.
In Cyber Shadow we find that the world has been taken over by synthetic lifeforms, and after a desperate plea for help, see Shadow on a journey to uncover what set the world on the path to perpetual ruin. This will mean slashing through techno hordes, leaping past traps, and nimbly navigating your way through the ruins of Mekacity. You see, it’ll only be then when you can unlock the secrets to your clan’s ancient powers.
“It’s a huge honor to work with Aarne Hunziker on Cyber Shadow. We understand more than most what a massive undertaking it is to bring a game you’ve been dreaming about for years into the world. We’re here to help Aarne deliver his vision – taking care of the ‘boring stuff’ so that he can do what he does best!” – Sean Velasco, Game Director, Yacht Club Games
“Working on Cyber Shadow has been exhausting but amazing at the same time. I’m thrilled that Yacht Club Games has taken an interest in my ninja game. It feels surreal for sure, and I can’t wait to see what comes next.” – Aarne ‘MEKASKULL’ Hunziker, creator of Cyber Shadow and founder of Mechanical Head Games
Yacht Club Games is handling the marketing, porting, business, and typical roles of a publisher so that Aarne can focus on the core game development. In addition, they are deeply involved in giving design feedback – imparting some of the lessons learned from the Shovel Knight saga along the way.
Key features of Cyber Shadow include:
- Dash, slice, and leap through masterfully designed levels filled with sharply honed ninja platforming action.
- Authentic 8-bit presentation with handcrafted sprites, a detailed pixel aesthetic, and perfect controls. Modern touches like fluid animation, multi-layered parallax backgrounds, and evolved game design.
- Take down more than a dozen apocalyptic bosses – from enormous war machines to your synthetic clan rivals.
- Relive the authenticity of classic 8-bit challenge or experience it for the first time … with an added convenience or two.
- Rescue your clan to unlock permanent Ninjutsu skills and abilities – combining them seamlessly as only the warrior of legend could.
- Search for secrets as you explore the ruined world. Return to your old haunts to find supplies, items, and upgrades.
- Experience a gripping story – told both in-game and through animated cinematic story scenes between the action. Who can be trusted? How far will Shadow go to protect his clan and the one he loves?
- Pulse-pounding soundtrack by Enrique Martin, produced by Jake Kaufman.
If you fancy taking in a bit more about Cyber Shadow, finding out why it’s a quintessential take on the ninja action genre, and are attending PAX East, then you’ll find the first official playable demo of the game available at Booth 20079. Make sure you pay the teams a visit.