With the original Railway Empire releasing back in 2018, we’ve been waiting a long time for its sequel. But, good news as the wait is over and Railway Empire 2 has chugged into a number of platforms (see what we did there?).
You can play Railway Empire 2 now on Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One consoles, PlayStation 4|5, PC and Nintendo Switch. Not only that but it’s released through Xbox Game Pass for console and PC.
What’s Railway Empire 2 all about?
Just like the original game, you’ll get transported back in time to the 1800s just as modern railways were becoming established in North America and Europe. In Railway Empire 2 your task is to transform a hatchling train company into big business and outsmart your competitors. You’ll have to hire the character to lead your company from a choice of six prospective employees, each with their own strengths and weaknesses, and have your pick of 60 famous locomotives – both freight and passenger.
Using the two huge maps of the US and continental Europe, you’ll choose where to lay your tracks, tunnels and bridges in order to connect cities and grow your business.
There are a host of modes to choose from including the fully customisable Free Play Mode, which lets you set your own difficulty and Construction Mode where you can build the perfect rail network. You can play the 5-chapter campaign or choose from any of the 14 different scenarios.
And one new key feature is the Cooperative Multiplayer Mode, which allows up to four players to team up and collaborate to help build the most successful railway business on the continent.
Railway Empire 2 builds on the gameplay of its predecessor with improved construction, real-time terraforming and expansive regional maps.
There are a host of game features
Xbox game features included in Railway Empire 2 are:
- History in the making: In 1830 at the dawn of the age of railways, build a grand railway empire from scratch and choose from 60 detailed, historic steam engines.
- A sprawling landscape: Huge and detailed game world covering the whole of the USA and Europe in one single map each, as well as more detailed regional maps with more than 300 towns spread all over the US and Europe.
- Endless Possibilities: Choose how you want to play from 5 campaigns, 14 scenarios, the customizable free play mode, the relaxing construction mode or control your railway company in the cooperative multiplayer mode with up to 4 friends.
- Automatic terrain adjustment: The land adapts to your track layout as your tracks cross mountains, valleys, and plains while you plan your routes, connect cities and optimise your rail network.
- Improved track construction: Laying tracks is easier than ever with automatically placed signals, expandable train stations with up to 8 tracks and bridges that can hold up to 4 tracks.
- Enjoy the view: Ride along your train and see the landscape rush by from the inside of the wagons or from the front seat in the driver’s compartment of the steam engine.
Download and play Railway Empire 2 now!
Railway Empire 2 is available in all the normal places, including the Xbox store where it is £41.74, currently at a discounted launch price of £37.56 and also free with a Game Pass subscription.
There is also the Railway Empire 2 Digital Deluxe Edition available at £49.99 (discounted launch price £44.99), which comes with the original soundtrack, exclusive skins for each of the three sizes of your railway stations, an exclusive skin for your company HQ, and an exclusive skin for two locomotives.
All aboard the express train to riches and fame in Railway Empire 2! Don the coat of a clever entrepreneur, take over a small railway company in the early 1800s and turn your steam engines into the workhorses of the economy. Grow your company into the largest railway company of the continent and outsmart your competitors as you connect cities and companies with an ever-expanding network of rail lines, bridges, and tunnels. 60 famous locomotives are at your disposal, all pulling freight and passenger cars as they usher in an era of historic importance during the Industrial Revolution.
Railway Empire 2 features bigger, more detailed and lively maps than ever before. The whole of the US and continental Europe are covered in two huge, sprawling maps, whilst more detailed maps put the focus on specific regions of each continent. Improved track construction helps you focus on the important decisions as you drive the economy and help the growth of the cities. Signals are placed automatically, bridges can hold more than 4 tracks and the expandable train stations can now have up to 8 tracks.
Choose from 6 different characters to lead your railway company, each with their own strengths and weaknesses. Play the 5-chapter campaign or choose from any of the 14 different scenarios. Set your own difficulty in the fully customisable Free Play mode or build the perfect rail network in construction mode. Tackle the competition of your railway empire together with friends in Co-op Multiplayer. You can also board one of your trains and gaze upon the scenery passing by as the iron horse speeds along the tracks while you sit back and enjoy the view.