It was way back in March of 2019 when we first heard of The Riftbreaker, a game that EXOR Studios hope will mix up the base-building, survival genre like never before. But now it’s here and it’s time to become The Riftbreaker on Xbox, PC and PlayStation, through Xbox Game Pass if you wish too.
Available to purchase, download and play right now, The Riftbreaker is a base-builder that just so happens to come with a smattering of survival elements built-in, along with some action-RPG mechanics to cover nearly all the bases you could want.
It’s priced at £24.99 but is also available through Xbox Game Pass should you be fully subscribed, with both options just as good as the other, giving chance for you to take on the role of one captain Ashley S. Nowak. It’s your job to become the Riftbreaker; an elite scientist/commando who just so happens to find themselves kitted out with a rather tasty Mecha-suit.
After entering a one-way portal to the planet of Galatea 37, you’ll need to build your base in order to create a new rift which will be able to whisk you off to Earth. That’s no easy objective in its own right, but the planet you are on is not one without danger. Defenses will need to be constructed in order to keep enemy attacks at bay, as the hostile inhabitants of Galatea 37 look to take hold.
But it won’t just be about surviving and partaking in a bit of research and development will be utterly key. New technologies are waiting to be discovered, blueprints will help you enhance your Mecha-suit and a whole range of abilities and weapons will fast become yours. At least, if you work succesfully.
In all the key features of The Riftbreaker are considerable, with them following these lines…
- STORY – You play the role of captain Ashley S. Nowak – you are the Riftbreaker, an elite scientist/commando inside a powerful Mecha-Suit. Enter a one-way portal to Galatea 37, a distant planet at the far reaches of the Milky Way Galaxy, with the purpose of building up a base that will allow travel back to Earth and further colonization. Ashley’s Mecha-suit, which she calls “Mr. Riggs”, can withstand the harshest environmental conditions and has a full range of equipment for base construction, resource extraction, gathering specimens, and of course – combat. It is capable of traveling through rifts that connect space across vast distances.
- BASE BUILDING – Your task is to construct a two-way rift back to Earth. It is a very complex invention and requires enormous amounts of energy. Simple solar collectors and a few tons of steel will not be enough. You will need to build up a complex chain of mines, refineries, powerplants, and research facilities to complete this mission.
- EXPLORATION – Galatea 37 is an unknown planet in the Sycorax belt of the Milky Way galaxy. Long-distance surveys detected that it is inhabitable and perfect for colonization. The planet is full of rare minerals and substances that can be found in various locations around the globe. Varied biomes can surprise you with unknown fauna and flora as well as harsh weather conditions. Construct local outposts in resource-rich locations that will transport the required resources using rift technology.
- DEFENSE – Your presence on this planet will not go unnoticed. As you build up your industry and disrupt the natural order, the world will start seeing you as a threat. Build up your defenses. Construct walls, barriers, and defense towers as the attacks get stronger with every passing day. You will face thousands of hostile creatures trying to eliminate your presence.
- HACK, SLASH, SHOOT – Mr. Riggs can be equipped with powerful weapons and abilities that will allow you to take on the largest of beasts. You will need to be ready to face lots of hostile alien creatures as you scout the planet.
- GATHER SAMPLES AND STRANGE ARTIFACTS – Fallen beasts will drop valuable research specimens as well as rare resources. Use everything that you can gather to research and craft new technologies, buildings, weapons, and equipment. You can also scout the terrain using your sensors and dig for treasure buried underground.
- RESEARCH – Use the samples that you’ve gathered to research new technologies that will help you build up your base, improve your defenses, develop new blueprints for your Mecha-suit, or improve existing technologies. CRAFT Mr. Riggs is fully customizable and upgradeable. Use the blueprints that you’ve researched to craft new parts and weapons. Utilizing better materials for the crafting process results in developing gear with improved properties. Each crafted item has unique properties.
- THE SCHMETTERLING ENGINE – This game is built using the latest iteration of EXOR Studio’s in-house developed Schmetterling 2.0 engine which was previously used to create X-Morph: Defense and Zombie Driver. We pride ourselves in delivering fluid gameplay and utilizing all of your hardware’s capabilities – uncapped frame rate, support for widescreen monitors, customizable controls, and more.
As is always the case, we’ll be sure to bring you some thoughts as to how The Riftbreaker plays out on Xbox Series X as we go forward. After spending some time with the demo of this, we’re pretty excited to see how the full experience plays out.
If you wish to grab a copy of the game for yourself, just head to the Xbox Store and pick it up on Xbox One or Xbox Series X|S. The Riftbreaker is also available on PlayStation and PC.
The Riftbreaker™ is a base-building, survival game with Action-RPG elements. You are an elite scientist/commando inside an advanced Mecha-Suit capable of dimensional rift travel. Hack & slash countless enemies. Build up your base, collect samples and research new inventions to survive.