Often rightly cited as one of the best trilogies of all-time, it’s hard to believe it is nearly ten years since the conclusion in Mass Effect 3. However, it is time to relive it all again – or indeed experience it for the first time – as the Mass Effect Legendary Edition is released on Xbox, PlayStation and PC.
The much-requested remaster brings together the original trilogy of Mass Effect games, along with almost all of the single player DLC for the first time in one package. Largely upscaled to 4K HDR and playable up to 120FPS on Xbox Series X, this isn’t just a simple remaster for modern consoles. Though not quite a full remake either, sitting comfortably between the two.
The Mass Effect Legendary Edition tells the tale of Commander Shepherd, who explores the solar system with their band of merry men/women/alien races to stop the universe from being overtaken by a strange race. In a nutshell that is; Mass Effect features conversations trees and decisions almost every second you are playing that can make one playstyle vary completely with another. Form bonds and friendships with your crew – perhaps even something more – but always be prepared for something much, much worse at the same time.
But that’s not all! To celebrate the launch the team at Bioware have been kind enough to make available a whole load of digital goodies on their website. Excited gamers can create their own Legendary Edition cover art by including their favourite companions from the trilogy here, and then print it out on special slip cover sizing to proudly display as their own personal box art.
There is also a huge bonus content download that brings together all the Deluxe Edition content from Mass Effect 2 and 3 such as art books and comic books, along with 88 iconic tracks from the trilogy’s soundtracks. This bounty comes in at 1.7GB and can be found here.
If the heavy download isn’t your thing, the full 88 song soundtrack can be listened to on YouTube. This also includes the new track Resynthesis, a brand-new piece of music for the Legendary Edition.
Game features and bundle include:
- RELIVE THE CINEMATIC SAGA: Heart-pounding action meets gripping interactive storytelling where you decide how your unique story unfolds.
- • Three Games – One Launcher: Play through the single-player base content and over 40 DLC from all three games, including promo weapons, armors, and packs. • Remastered for a New Generation: Experience the trilogy in 4K Ultra HD with enhanced performance, visuals, and graphics, all available in HDR. • Visual Improvements on All Three Games: Updates include enhanced models, shaders, FX, lighting, and depth of field plus full-resolution audio.
- EXPERIENCE THE LEGEND OF SHEPARD: Create and customize your own character, from appearance and skills to a personalized arsenal then lead your elite recon squad across a galaxy in turmoil.
- • New Shepard Customizations: With improved hair, makeup, eye color and skin tones you can create your Shepard in a unified character creator with all options available across the full trilogy, or choose to play as the iconic Femshep from Mass Effect 3 now available in all titles. • Gameplay Enhancements for the First Mass Effect™ Game: Enjoy improved aiming and weapons balance, SFX, input/controls, squad behavior, cover behavior, and gameplay cameras.
- REFLECT ON YOUR CHOICES: Your choices seamlessly travel from one game to the next. Each decision you make will control the outcome of every mission, every relationship, every battle – and even the fate of the galaxy itself.
- • Performance Mode Options: Choose between “Favor Quality” for increased resolution or “Favor Framerate” to boost your FPS on consoles.
- INCLUDED CONTENT: Mass Effect™ Legendary Edition includes single-player base content for all three titles (Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2 and Mass Effect 3), your favorite single-player story DLC, promo weapons, armors, and packs: DLC:
- • Bring Down the Sky
- • Zaeed – The Price of Revenge
- • Kasumi – Stolen Memory
- • Lair of the Shadow Broker
- • Firewalker Pack
- • Overlord
- • Normandy Crash Site
- • Arrival
- • Genesis 2
- • From Ashes
- • Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut
- • Leviathan
- • Omega
- • Citadel
- • Equalizer Pack
- • Aegis Pack
- • Firepower Pack
- • Cerberus Weapons and Armor
- • Arc Projector
- • ME2 Alternate Appearance Pack 1
- • ME2 Alternate Appearance Pack 2
- • ME3 Alternate Appearance Pack 1
- • Firefight Pack
- • Groundside Resistance Pack
- • Recon Operations Pack
- • Collector’s Weapon and Armor
- • Terminus Weapon and Armor
- • M-21 Incisor
- • Blood Dragon Armor
- • Inferno Armor
- • Recon Hood
- • Sentry Interface
- • Umbra Visor
- • N7 Warfare Gear
- • AT-12 Raider
- • Chakram Launcher
- • M-55 Argus
- • M-90 Indra
- • Reckoner Knight Armor
- • N7 Collector’s Edition Pack
Fancy saving the galaxy? Mass Effect Legendary Edition on Xbox is available to download right now priced at £59.99, totally optimised for Xbox Series X|S too. Xbox Game Pass subscribers though do get a 10% discount through also being EA Play members, dropping it down to £53.99. It’s also available on PlayStation and PC.
Stay tuned for our review coming soon, but leave us a comment letting us know if this is your first or 50th time playing through these timeless classics. I’ll be honest though, I probably wont be reading them, as I’ll be too busy playing them again myself!
One person is all that stands between humanity and the greatest threat it’s ever faced. Relive the legend of Commander Shepard in the highly acclaimed Mass Effect trilogy with the Mass Effect™ Legendary Edition. Includes single-player base content and over 40 DLC from Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2, and Mass Effect 3 games, including promo weapons, armors, and packs – remastered and optimized for 4K Ultra HD.