It’s been more than seven years since Rocket League first burst onto the scene, and since that time it’s pretty much had the whole ‘vehicular sports’ genre sewn up. Turbo Golf Racing is about as close to Rocket League as you’re going to get, but as the name suggests, this one forgoes football for golf.
Arriving in Game Preview and Early Access form, a place where the devs behind it – the UK indie team at Hugecalf Studios – expect to keep it that way as it is built out over the next twelve months or so, Turbo Golf Racing is promises to be the next big thing in vehicular sports. Helping it along is a Day One Game Pass drop helping push it as a Rocket League-beater.
An arcade-styled sports racer, Turbo Golf Racing focuses on casually-competitive Grand Prix styled matches, catering for up to eight players online as it does so. The aim though is simple – drive your little car into a ball and hole it as fast as you can; chipping, putting and smashing it pin-wards faster than your opposition.
It’s with the vehicles and their customisation where the similarities with Rocket League begin, whilst the delicate dribbling of the ball is where it ends. See, this may seem familiar, and it certainly plays along the same lines in terms of control, as you jump, flip and boost your way through Turbo Golf Racing, but this is golf. Kinda.
Set up from teeing off, you’ll need to push your ball across a variety of holes; bunkers, fairways, rough grass and more ensure this is right on theme. But there are boost pads too, tunnels, fans and more helping mixing things up. Throw in the usual car cosmetics that you would expect to see and Turbo Golf Racing has much about it.
Key features include:
- RACE YOUR RIVALS TO THE FINISH – Welcome to the future of motorsports. Feel the excitement of fast-paced arcade-style racing as you tee off with your friends in a new exhilarating way. Jump, flip, glide boost and dash with supercharged cars and be the first to get your ball in the hole.
- 8 PLAYERS ONLINE – Race with up to eight competitors in a Grand-Prix style competition. Hit the boost pads to charge past your rivals, take secret tunnels to outwit them or fire missiles to stop them in their tracks.
- POWER CORES – Get the edge over your rivals by unlocking and equipping Power Cores. Hit your ball further, fly faster or use unique abilities such as ground stomp, gravitate ball and roll. With a wide variety of Power Cores, find your meta to outwit your friends.
- TURBO CHARGE YOUR CUSTOMISATION – Choose the car and ball that makes you stand out from the crowd. Enjoy endless paint options, change your wheels, spoiler, shield car body and boosters.
- TAKE TO THE SKIES – The sky is the limit when your cars have wings. Launch your Turbo powered car into the air and fly past the competition. Fly through tunnels, glide over fans and chase your ball through the terrain and over obstacles.
- TACKLE THE TERRAIN – Use the terrain to your advantage, fly over the boost pads, and down the fairway. Avoid the rough and the sand traps. Bend your shots around trees and through canyons. Race to the green.
- EVER-GROWING CONTENT – Unlock cosmetics as you level-up and enjoy an ever-growing game with free regular updates that will bring new courses, new power cores and new cosmetics items to play with.
In fact, we can confirm that potential thanks to some even more recent hands-on with the Game Preview version that is launching today.
“It’s hard to comprehend that three-and-a-half years have passed since we first started prototyping our car-golf game,” says Jonny Hughes, director & producer at Hugecalf Studios. “We’re immensely proud of how far Turbo Golf Racing has come since then and we will be forever grateful to the tens of thousands of players who helped us refine the game during this year’s Beta tests. I’m excited for players to experience everything that’s in Turbo Golf Racing today, and to discover what’s to still to come in the months ahead…”
“Player feedback is central to everything in Turbo Golf Racing today and in its future,” explains Krystal Ramsey, product manager at Secret Mode. “The ridiculously talented team at Hugecalf Studios has already made an incredible game that’s exhilarating from minute one, but this really is the beginning of the ride. Without spoiling the surprises in store, we’re incredibly excited to see how the Turbo Golf Racing experience evolves throughout the Early Access and Game Preview programs in tandem with the community’s ideas.”
You can get involved for yourself by heading to the Xbox Store, downloading it on Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S – fully optimised for next-gen. It’s also on Steam for PC and launching day one into both the Xbox Game Pass and PC Game Pass schemes. That means you’ve no excuse not to play. Expect to pay roughly £14.99 | €17.99 | $17.99 to get in on the Turbo Golf Racing madness.
Turbo Golf Racing will continue evolving in the months ahead. Hopes are extremely high for this one.
This game is a work in progress. It may or may not change over time or release as a final product. Purchase only if you are comfortable with the current state of the unfinished game. Turbo Golf Racing is a fast, arcade-style sports game. Drive Turbo powered cars to chip, putt and smash your giant ball in a thrilling dash to beat your friends to the finish flag.